Today was electrics day, and I was the one that kopped to be in the house while they did the works. And horrendous was an understatement!
Due to dust flying around, the morning started with the cats and I regulated to the bathroom, while work was done on the front room. And here liveth the problem, it was the smallest room, no light or heating. And while I thought, we’d only be in there for about 30 mins while they did the drilling work, it ended up being 4 hours. Thankfully, this also meant that they finished all the work in the front room, so it meant there was less stress for the cats when I transferred back into the main room.
The cats were relatively well-behaved, and only got agitated a couple of times, but generally they took it all in their stride.
I was always aware that this was the messiest day, but seeing it in the state that it were gave me a slight panic attack.
Once in the front room and having nothing to do, I ended up going to sleep. Well, since being up since 6.30am I was shattered, and it didn’t help that I had nothing to do. Studying was out of the question due to drilling. Somehow I was able to sleep though!
Normally the works for the day finish at 3.30pm, but they were still here until 5.30pm. I felt like today was never going to end. Although once they left, I was able to see the damage, I mean work, that they done.
I am renaming the property to conduit city. The majority of the rewire has been put into ghastly conduit. The impression that we were given was that it would just be used on the ceiling and the reinforced walls only. Turns out that this wasn’t true, and while the flat is starting to look like spaghetti junction, not all the conduit has been implemented in. We still have some more of the wire to be covered as well as the central heating pipes
As we have a long hallway, the current light situation doesn’t work, but we were informed that this was to be fixed as an additional light was to be added. Before the workmen left, I did question why this wasn’t added and there response was that they didn’t think it was in the spec, so they can speak to the manager and they’ll happily add one. While talking about the light situation, we have been given an awful flourescent light as Salix wanted these as part of the spec, and the new bathroom light is nice, but placed in the wrong place meaning that the corner is dark.
But more importantly, we now have a light that works in the main bedroom. Due to the wiring, the light intermittently came on (more often never). There was a slight panic that there was still a problem when the light didn’t come on, but it just turned out that the bulb. Phew!!!
On top of that, there is now a lot of holes throughout the flat where the old plug sockets and light switches had been. But this isn’t going to be a major issue, as these will be filled and re-plastered. However, there is one hole that the filling wont look good when filled…the hallway. The light in the hallway has been relocated, which wouldn’t have been an issue if the ceiling wasn’t artexed!
But while cleaning the property, Chris noticed that are brand new bathroom suite has been damaged. The bath and toilet seat have been chipped, which is annoying because the previous bath was chipped and re-enamelling didn’t work. On top of that, we have leakage problems! Let’s hope they fix all of that soon.
It feels that the work schedule has gone out the window now. Tomorrow is the water pipes being boxed in, so should be a short day. We were informed that it would be plastering, with the kitchen going in on Friday. This has been changed to what we were told yesterday, which is frustrating, as we would have had our kitchen for the weekend. Oh well.